Re: Looking for a site? Read me. If not, delete and dont flame.

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 06/29/96

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Primacy wrote:

> Here's the info for my Internet service provider.
>
> Base account charge - $14.95/month (unlimited access)
> Personal hostname setup - $50 one time fee
> Hostname yearly charge - $50 year

Your "personal hostname setup" is WAYYY too expensive.  Remember, a
hostname costs zip.  All it requires is an entry in the DNS records.

However, a domain name free is charged by the InterNIC for a domain,
which is $50/year for two years, no "one time fee."  Tell your ISP to
screw it yourself and just do it yourself.  Just get someone on
SprintLink to register the IP address in DNS for you, it'll automagically
go to the whole world.

You're getting ripped off, here. ;p

Here's mine:

$19.95/mo for unlimited access
$10.00 one-time-fee for hostname
$50.00/yr for two years for domain name registration
$10.00 setup fee for a domain name

Of course, getting a halfway-decent connection costs more...  that's
where getting two or three modems and then balancing the load between
them is useful.  Of course, my ISP makes you pay through the nose if
you're on 24-hours a day, but still...

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University