Re: Color problems

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 06/30/96

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, John C. A. Bambenek, Esq. wrote:

> I have gotten the exact code for screen.h from a MUD that is running
> color, and the stock code.  Neither work, when color is called to display
> stuff, it just does m[310]x or weird stuff like that.  Any ideas on why
> color is whacked, or is it just my server?

You must support ANSI color on *YOUR* side.  ANSI Color codes have the
format of "ESC[#;#...m" where # is a code.  You can have (in theory) an
unlimited length ANSI code.  ANSI color codes are ended with a single,
lower case "m".  To send the ESC code, CircleMUD uses x1b, which is the
hex representation of the ASCII code 33.  You may send either \x1b or \033
as the ESC code, they are (should be) the same thing.  For instance, the
ANSI code sequence \x1b[0;36m changes the color to cyan.  It removes all
effects (so it's just plain old cyan, NOT bright/flashing/underlined/etc.)

Not really a place to discuss the ANSI specification, though, so we'll
leave it at that.

	-dak