Re: CODE FAQ: CHANGING IMPS AFTER ADDING LEVELS (was Re: Directions for AddingLevels - Big Spam!)

From: Eric Soderquist (felz@alaska.net)
Date: 07/06/96

>Q: I just added 20000 levels to my mud (from the stock 36).  How do I set up
>   my imps back to lv 20000 without a pfile wipe?
>
>A: You write a quick and nasty function like:
>   ACMD(do_upme) {
>        GET_LEVEL(ch) = LVL_IMPL;
>        send_to_char("You got it, Boss!", ch);
>  }
>  (assumption is you're smart enough to know when to enable it and
>   disable it and how to add it as a command)

If you need to have this 'upme' command available while testing levels, etc
(while you have morts on) and don't want to have to worry about one of them
claiming an IMP position, just add a quick IDNUM check to the function,
like this:

ACMD(do_upme)
{
  if (GET_IDNUM(ch) != 1) {
    send_to_char("You think IMP positions are that easy to come by?  Go
Figure...\r\n", ch);
  } else {
    GET_LEVEL(ch) = LVL_IMPL;
    send_to_char("Done.\r\n", ch);
  }
}

That way you don't have to worry about having to put this in when you need
to adv you (considering you are the IMP who was the very first person to
connect to the game, id 1) and taking this out when you are done.  You can
just leave it in until you are sure you won't need it again.  Plus you can
rest easy knowing that morts won't all be IMPs ;-)

Eric Soderquist           On the web:  http://www.alaska.net/~felz/mud/

Esoderquist@kpbsd.k12.ak.us -or- felz@alaska.net

IMP of BlackVortexMUD <-- currently under development