Re: [Circle] Re: English -- the Final post.

From: Alex (fletcher@cspo.queensu.ca)
Date: 08/20/96

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Argus wrote:
> You people all make me sick.  ACK! PUKE!  Some of the people on this
> mailing list don't know English as a primary language and you are
> assuming the person who originally posted this message know english
> as the rest of you children.
Ok.  Since you have ever so casually grouped me into this group of
people, I will point out the fact that I asked nicely for him to use
'anyways' instead of 'neways' and suchnot.  This albeit is proper
English and as such I should be shot I guess.  Anyways, my point in
saying this is that if people use 'warez' speak, they are *never*
going to be able to spell in English, and it is a point of note that
the Internet runs on English in general, mostly because it is the
most predominant language in the world (Chinese aside).  I'm not
assuming that he will be able to have perfect sentence structure,
hell, I don't, you don't, nobody I personally know does in fact.

I also didn't degrade him for it, I merely suggested that the use of
actual words as compared to 'warez'-speak would be much easier for
people on the list to understand and so forth.  And it is true that
most people have difficulty reading mail full of 'u' and 'neways'
and so forth.

I certainly don't appreciate being called a Hitler either since I
fell that in no way am I anywhere similar to him (hell, I can't even
paint which he could do quite well (= ), so in future I would suggest you
be a little more careful in how you phrase things.

If people want to post in another language on the list, by all means,
they can go ahead, but it is suggested that they post in English merely
because they are more likely to be understood.

> And on behalf of the American population, which I served so proudly
> in our Armed Forces to keep the rights of those we serve, I
> appologise for some of the ignorance.
The last time the US Armed Forces have has to 'defend their country's
rights' was in the War of Independance.  Some 200+ years ago if I
recall correctly.  This isn't an all american list.  In fact, close
to 50% of the members on the list aren't even Americans.

> Didn't your parents teach you, "If you can't say anythnig nice, don't
> say anything at all?" and if Ignorance is bliss, you must be in
> heaven.
Yes, parents do say that, but Ignorance may be bliss, but if someone
isn't understood, and if their mail is deleted because of the excessive
use of corrupted english terms, then they should be told why they aren't
getting many responses.  I tried to do that.  It appears that in trying
to help someone out (which I cc'd to the list intentionally so that anyone
else who uses those terms might know as well), I became a Hitler.  Well
so be it.  I'm Hitler.  Big Fucking Deal.  Hitler!  Hitler!  Hitler!

That's all I'm saying on this subject now since I've said what needed to
be said and then defended myself from an accusation of Racism, Languagism,
and so forth.

Thank you, have a nice day.

--
Erm... Yeah.  Whatever.