[Circle] Linux Travails

From: Jeeves (philipe@[198.49.101.10)
Date: 08/22/96

I can't seem to get my Linux system to believe that I have an
internal modem on cua0. I have recompiled the kernel several times,
making sure to select proper options, and have re-run the setup
program many times as well. The 'dip' program (yes, I use SLIP)
always reports a negative number error code if I try running my login
script, and if I try to login interactively, I get error code 3 after
I dial the number. Dip's documentation says that error code 3 means
"BUSY". But I *know* the server wasn't busy at the time I was
dialling. No other terminal programs will use the modem at all. I
have checked the IRQs also. Perhaps someone out there will have an
answer (my floppy drive doesn't work either, but of the two problems,
I'd rather try to get the modem problem solved).

ObCircle:

How, exactly, does one go about coding different character-spoken
languages? I don't want code, I just want to know the general
algorithm.

Thanks.

Jeeves
Creator/IMP/Builder of CalaisMUD (under development)