Re: EXP Problems

From: Johan Dustler (Johan.Dustler@epk.ericsson.se)
Date: 10/03/96

> From: linebacker@microlink.net
>
> Has anyone noticed any problems with the EXP in
> bpl 11? I just opened for beta and I have players
> complaining about the exp.
>
> 1) Say a mob is worth 2000 exp and is lev 8. No matter
> what level the character is that kills him, they will
> only receive a fraction of that amount. ( I think it was
> like 343 for that instance)
>
> 2) When grouping, for example, two 8th level chars kill
> a mob that gives each player 4K exp. Strangely, when one
> of the players kills that same mob solo, they get 16K

This is at it should be. You get more exp if you can kill the mob
solo, afterall it is harder to do it alone.

> Is this normal, and can someone please tell me how the exp is basically
> calculated. I have look through the code, and am still stumped.

Not grouped: damage() in fight.c
 exp = MIN(max_exp_gain, GET_EXP(victim) / 3);

/* Calculate level-difference bonus */
 if (IS_NPC(ch))
  exp += MAX(0, (exp * MIN(4, (GET_LEVEL(victim) - GET_LEVEL(ch)))) >> 3);
 else
  exp += MAX(0, (exp * MIN(8, (GET_LEVEL(victim) - GET_LEVEL(ch)))) >> 3);
 exp = MAX(exp, 1);                                ^

This is the line that applies when players get exp |

The most exp a solo char can get from killing a mob is when his 8 or more
levels lower then the mob. In that case he gets:
  exp = mob_exp / 3 + ((mob_exp / 3) * 8) / 8

and that is the same as 2/3 of the mobs experience.

Grouped: group_gain() in fight.c
  base = MAX(1, GET_EXP(victim) / (3 * tot_members));

base is the exp every member in the group gets.

> Also, what exactly does the prot from evil spell do? I know it sets a
> flag, but how does it helpthe player against evil mobs?

Prot from evil doesn't do anything yet.

> Thanks,
> Chuck

-Johan