Auto Reimbursement...

From: Justin Robinson - Primacy (Justin@wired.uvm.edu)
Date: 10/06/96

Well, here's a strange idea I've been working on, I'm sure someone
thought of it and discarded it already.  Anyways, here goes:

    Whenever each character SAVES, or dies, or anything of
significance happens, a routine called do_reimb_save(), or something
like that, is called.  What this does is take all important
information...str, str_add, dex, int, gold, exp, skill/spell learned
info, etc. and save it to a file.  Maybe:
../lib/reimb_data/(CHARACTER_NAME).reimb

Now, whenever a playerfile gets wiped - or the mud crashes, and a
character finds that their stats are out of whack, they can type
`reimb' and it will read in all this information and restore their
previous stats.  Now, a few safety notes.  To keep people from taking
over other people's characters, mainly gods/imp chars is what I'm
worried about.  What if you ask the player to type this:
           reimb <old password>
where the <old password> would be the password of whenever the reimb
data was saved.

This would save on player reimbursements - you could wipe the
playerfile at will.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of this idea - and if there are
any forseeable problems to doing this.  I've already started writing
the framework, but I would rather know if I'm doing a BAD thing
before I finish :)

Thanks!
| Justin Robinson                                               |
| VTel - Springfield Vermont                                    |
| Programmer/Technician/Analyst/Consultant                      |
| Online Resume: http://www.vermontel.com/~jmrobins/resume.html |
|        E-Mail: jmrobins@vermontel.com                         |
|      WWW-Page: http://www.vermontel.com/~jmrobins/            |
| Ruin! Mud - Primacy                                           |
| WWW-Page --------------> http://www.ruin.org/                 |
| Mud Address  ----------> wired.uvm.edu:4000                   |
| Implementors ----------> ruin@vermontel.com                   |