Re: [ADMIN} Survey of List Format

From: Admin of The Keep (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/07/96

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Ebon Mists wrote:

> I can see about 5 letters MAYBE of the subject line before pulling up the
> message. Honestly, I do not read all the posts to the list, and ones I dont
> need to read/feel like reading I usually skip over based on the subject
> line. When I cannot even read the subject line I have to pull up the message
> then see if it's worth reading. I know, bug deal, right? It's only a few
> keystrokes... but when I have 100 or so emails a day to skim through and
> have work, a girlfriend, code, etc it DOES waste time. :)

  Perhaps we could get really cryptic here and just lower the individual
  tags down to 1 or 2 letters, eg: "[Cir](CN) Duh..." with 'cn' standing
  for Code AND Newbie.  I think what wastes a lot of space in headers is
  the abundance of unneccessary brackets, etc. IN ADDITION to the words.

    "Cir:(CN) Example Message Plea"
    " [Code] [Newbie] Exam"

  If you count the brackets and spaces that the latter uses, we have *8*
  extra characters coming from just brackets and spaces!  You'll note if
  we abbreviate Circle, remove all the brackets and spacing, and use the
  more cryptic counterparts to the actual message tags, we go from  four
  characters of the subject showing to 20.

  These both give the same amount of information on the  message's type,
  just some give a better taste of the message's subject.  The first one
  would be ideal, it's extremely compact and it gives the same info.  If
  someone posted a bi-weekly message on what each of the 1 letter  codes
  stands for it would work out better than what we are currently using.

  <*=-+Daniel+-=*>
  "Forgive me father, for I am sin."