Re: Doors

From: Admin of The Keep (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/09/96

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Sean P. Mountcastle wrote:

> 	I was curious if anyone scrapped the current way doors are done
> and implemented them as objects which can be destroyed, have specials
> that  can be triggered by picking them, opening/closing them, etc.
>
> 	Anyways, I'm just curious as to how (generally)one would
> implement this.  A special door object that is loaded on zone reset (if
> it wasnt there already) that uses its value array to tell which exit it's
> blocking, how sturdy it is, its state (open, closed, destroyed, etc).

  Hm, create an object type ITEM_DOOR and use the values to assign door
  information.  Now change the format of the 'D' fields to just D<vnum>
  Then in all the door opening/closing/etc. procedures do a generic_find
  for the door object.

  Damage to doors can be accomplished by just removing the door.  You'll
  also want to have the door set flag in zone files load a door and set
  the current set of the door.  You may need to extend the amount of
  values per object, too.

  That's really all that I can think of needing to do.

  <*=-+Daniel+-=*>
  "Forgive me father, for I am sin."