Copyright laws

From: Ebon Mists (mud@quake.cloudnet.com)
Date: 10/16/96

As far as just putting copyright blah  blah on something goes... Ok. You
'copyright' your zone.

I steal a copy, go into a text editor, change it a little bit, and change
the copyright to ME. I now use it in my mud.

Legal actions ensue. You sue be for stealing your area.

Who's to say you didnt steal mine? It would be your word against mine. Sure,
you could have your players say that areas been in your mud for 2 years, but
I could just as easily say I wrote mine 3 years ago, and the mud has been in
beta without any 'witnesses' IE: players.

It comes down to a you say vs. I say issue. Unless you had some extremely
convincing evidence in your favor, the case would not go anywhere. I'm not
positive on that 4 year copyright thing that someone posted, but even if
that were true... during that 4 year perios without a legal copyright
documented somewhere in some government office, it's a matter of my word
versues yours, in which case, the actual copyright becomes pointless.

Hades

This email Copyright 1996 by Ebon Mists Productions. Reproduction or use, in
part or whole, without express written permission of the author will bring
about severe legal action.

You mean to tell me that by me typing that, if anyone quotes parts of this
message back to the list without my permission, I have the right to sue, and
WOULD win? I think any court in the United States would laugh that case
right out the door.