Re: [newbie] display prompt

From: Stefan Jakobsson (gorgon@katrinet.se)
Date: 10/26/96

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Todd Aithkins wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Todd Aithkins <aitkins@eskimo.com>
> To: circle@cspo.queensu.ca
> Subject:  [newbie] display prompt
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any code snippets or anything for adding a
> better prompt.  I checked the snippet and circle ftp site, didn't see
> anything.
>
> If not can someone tell me a bit on how it works or at least what files
> it's in so i can do it myself.

Hmmmm, a tip you can ALWAYS try whenever you want to know where a certain
piece of code is, is this....

Change to the source directory, type grep function_or_command *.c > temp.txt

That will search all file in the source dir that ends with .c and grep
out all lines that contain the word or words you search forto a file
called temp.txt. You can then look in the temp.txt file to see where all
occurances of that phrase is, that makes it a lot easier to find where a
certain function resides.

In this case a good guess would have been grep display *.c > temp.txt or
grep prompt *.c > temp.txt

(The above is valid if you are using some kind of Unix flavour)

But as important as it is to have a working knowledge of c coding, it is
to know how to use your OS to accomplish things that you need.

Reg, Stefan (aka Slite)
PhoneyMUD Imp