Re: Re[2]: The PerfectMUD? Just an opinion

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/31/96

> While it is true that many muds will then have identical features, these
> features already de facto standard; they just aren't in stock circle.
> Things like aliases that save, for example. There is no reason for saving
> aliases not to be a stock feature.  For what possible purpose would a game
> administrator want non-saving aliases?  Isn't one of the first things
> everybody does is put in the saved alias patch?

There is no reason that aliases don't save.  It's a bug.  It's going to
be in pl12.

The whole point of the CircleMUD project was to include features that
*everyone* agrees are standard, so that imps can spend their time coding
something new.  If there are completely de-factor standard "stock" things
that everyone agrees should be in Circle, then I'll probably add them --
as long as they do not violate the "stockness" of the base.

Now, keep in mind also that I have been out of touch with the MUD world
for a while because I don't play MUDs.  My entire view of the MUD world
is based on the mail that I read on this list and the mail sent to me.
Please, tell me: if "scan", name abbreviations, etc are totoall standard,
and if there are high-quality patches available for them, then I'll
integrate them into the base.

Now, to anyone who wants to release their OWN base: of course, you are
encourged to do so if you want to.  Obviously I've made a lot of
judgements in releasing Circle (i.e. what should be stock and what
shouldn't), and if your views differ, well, release your own base code.
:)  Just keep in mind that it's not as easy as just releasing code.  It's
a balancing act to try to keep everyone happy; it's trying to add new
features without disturbing the installed base (e.g. playerfile or world
formats); it's the need to write huge amounts of documentation; and it's
the need to reply to a mountain of mail.

Regards,
Jeremy