Re: [Circle] [Syslog erro]

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@circlemud.org)
Date: 11/07/96

> Andrew Jones wrote:
> >
> > Okie normally I wouldn't do this but I can not figure it out, everytime
> > someone logs on it gives a different number of the same error:
> >         SYSERR: ch->in_room = NOWHERE when equipping char.
> > I think it has something to do with equiping the char/saving it in eq
> > positions upon quit.
>

> It does. just comment out the mudlog ("SYSERR... line.

Commenting out a SYSERR line is *not* the way to solve any problem.  I've
seen this suggested several times for several different problems.  The
SYSERR lines are there specifically to alert you to the fact that some
code you've added has messed up Circle's internal structures.  "Solving" a
code problem by commenting out the SYSERR line is like seeing the "Gas
Low" warning light come on in your car and "solving" the problem by
breaking the light with a hammer.  This won't help you very much when your
car finally runs out of gas in the middle of the freeway.

Stock Circle does not get any SYSERR messages under normal operation,
so if you see one, there is something wrong.  There are a number of
SYSERRs that come up when you run the MUD in mini-mud mode (the -m
switch), or if you remove rooms, when the MUD tries to load a char back
into a room that no longer exists when you log in.

-Jeremy