Re: [Circle] Re: syslog error (SYSERR)

From: Derek L. Karnes (dkarnes@mystech.com)
Date: 11/07/96

Jeremy Elson wrote:

> > Andrew Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > Okie normally I wouldn't do this but I can not figure it out, everytime
> > > someone logs on it gives a different number of the same error:
> > >         SYSERR: ch->in_room = NOWHERE when equipping char.
> > > I think it has something to do with equiping the char/saving it in eq
> > > positions upon quit.
> >

> > It does. just comment out the mudlog ("SYSERR... line.
>
> Commenting out a SYSERR line is *not* the way to solve any problem.

It is if the SYSERR is not a real problem anymore - which its not (a LOT of
the time, like you state below) since he added the auto-eq patch.

> I've
> seen this suggested several times for several different problems.  The
> SYSERR lines are there specifically to alert you to the fact that some
> code you've added has messed up Circle's internal structures.  "Solving" a
> code problem by commenting out the SYSERR line is like seeing the "Gas
> Low" warning light come on in your car and "solving" the problem by
> breaking the light with a hammer.  This won't help you very much when your
> car finally runs out of gas in the middle of the freeway.

In this case it's like adding a second tank, so you disconnect the light on
the first one,since the light isn't a true reflection of the amount of gas
you have.

> Stock Circle does not get any SYSERR messages under normal operation,
> so if you see one, there is something wrong.

He added the patch so it's not stock circle anymore. Granted, a better
fix than just commenting it out would be to check and see if this call to
equip_char() was called from auto_equip() (using the method of your choice),
otherwise print the syserr.

-Derek

--
                                    \ | /