Re: [Circle] No symbol

From: Trey T. Morita (tmorita@texas.net)
Date: 11/08/96

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Mark McArthey wrote:

> I have a function in act.comm.c that has a number of local
> variables declared.  One of these variables is an int.
> When stepping through the debugger into the function, I get to
> where the variable is to be used and attempt to print the value.
> I receive:
> No symbol "<variable name>" in current context.

> Why would an int in act.comm.c not be recognized?  Augh.

If you compile with the -O flag (optimization), variables, and sometimes
entire chunks of code, will be optimized out. If it's optimized out, it's
usually because it's doing nothing, or doing something that has no affect.
If you remove that .o file and recompile that one by hand without the -O
flag and then relink the binary, you should see be able to trace through
it and see why it's not doing anything.

Hope this helps,
Trey