[Circle] [OFF-TOPIC] A telnet program. [part 2]

From: Fionn Colvin (fcolvin@metz.une.edu.au)
Date: 11/08/96

Hiya all,
         sorry to repost a simular question again. At current I can
connect to the internet from home using my modem with procomm plus. This
allows me to use color. :) If I use the computers out at my University I
can only use telbin to connect, which only allows vt100 terminal
emulation. What I'd like to do is either get a cool prog which I can use
in dos which allows ansi emulation, or use procomm on this computer. The
computers at my Uni are connected to the account via a network so I can't
use the modem option on procomm. Any advice as what I can do would be
greatly appreciated. :)

Fionn

PS Thanks for all the advice everyone has given so far. :)

Below is the config file for telbin, so you can see how I'm connected.

###############
# Config file #
###############

#
#  Example host file for Telnet 2.3
#
#  "funny, this configuration file is readable ..."
#
#  This file is free form
#  Separators are any char <33 and :;=
#
#  The form is keyword=value for each parameter.
#  The first set of parameters refer to the whole program's defaults.
#  These parameter values can be in any order.
#  Following this are the individual machine specs.
#  If the first machine is name "default", then it contains default
#  values for the rest of the machines.
#

#myname=soul.une.oz.au   # used in LPR to notify the LPR server
                            # who is printing
                            #   Defaults to none

#myip=129.180.11.234         # required, your IP number
#myip=RARP                  # receive my IP number from a RARP server
myip=BOOTP                 # receive my IP number from a BOOTP server
                            #   legal values are: a number of the form:
                            #       x.x.x.x, RARP, or BOOTP
                            #   Defaults to 127.0.0.1
netmask=255.255.255.0       # subnetting mask
                            #   Default is 0.0.0.0

#The following are the ISA boards supported:

#hardware=atalk             # network adapter board (Appletalk)
#interrupt=60

#hardware=3c501             # network adapter board (3 COM 501)
#address=d000               # shared memory address
#ioaddr=300                 # I/O address
#interrupt=5                # hardware IRQ interrupt

#hardware=star10            # network adapter board (AT&T starlan 10)
#address=d800               # shared memory address
#ioaddr=300                 # I/O address
#interrupt=5                # hardware IRQ interrupt

#hardware=pcnic             # network adapter board (Ungermann-Bass PC-NIC)
#address=d800
#interrupt=5

#hardware=3c503             # network adapter board ( 3 Com 503)
#ioaddr=280
#address=dc00
#interrupt=5
#wire=thick

hardware=packet            # network adapter board (packet driver interface)
ioaddr=0
#interrupt=5
#ioaddr=280

#hardware=ni5210            # network adapter board (Micom NI5210 )
#address=d000
#ioaddr=360
#interrupt=2

#hardware=wd800             # network adapter board (Western Digital WD8003E)
#address=d000
#ioaddr=280
#interrupt=5

#hardware=wd800             # network adapter board (Western Digital WD8003EB)
#address=d800               # Remember to run the 'SETUP' program
#ioaddr=360                 #       provided by Western Digital to enable
#interrupt=3                #       the board correctly!

#The following are the MCA boards supported:

#hardware=wd8003a            # network adapter board (Western Digital WD8003A)
#address=c400
#interrupt=10
#ioaddr=280

#hardware=ni9210            # network adapter board (Micom ni9210)
#address=c800
#interrupt=9
#ioaddr=300

#hardware=nicps2            # network adapter board (Ungermann-Bass NICps/2)
#address=d000
#interrupt=5
#ioaddr=1550

#hardware=3c523             # network adapter board (3Com 523)
#address=d800
#interrupt=7
#ioaddr=1300

#cursortop=2                # option to set the top of the cursor block
                            # measured in scanlines from the top of the
                            # character block
                            #  Default is -1 (don't modify the existing setting)

#cursorbottom=7             # option to set the bottom of the cursor block
                            # measured in scanlines from the top of the
                            # character block
                            #   Default is -1 (don't modify the existing setting)

#broadcast=141.142.103.0    # broadcast IP number
                            #   Default is 255.255.255.255

windowgoaway=yes            # whether windows go away when closed
                            #   Default is no

autoscroll=no               # whether to autoscroll when at the top of the
                            # screen in scrollback
                            #   Default is yes

#clock=off                  # whether the clock is displayed or not
                            #   Default is on

termtype="vt100"            # the type of terminal emulation to perform
			    # currently only vt100 is supported
                            #   Default is vt100

#outputfile=telnet.out      # path name of the output mapping file
                            #   Defaults to none

#keyfile=keymap.key         # path name of your keyboard re-mapping file
                            #   Defaults to none

beep=yes                    # display musical note in session status
                            # on the status line when a ascii 7 is received
                            # in that session
                            #   Defaults to no

#services="c:\telnet\services.tel"   # path to the services file for displaying
                            # network information
                            #   Defaults to none

tek=yes                     # enable tektronix graphics
                            #   Default is on

video=ega                   # type of video screen
                            #    Legal values for video are:
                            #    cga,ega,pga,no9,hercules,ega43,vga50
                            #   Default is ega

bios=no                     # don't use slow BIOS screen access
                            #    bios=yes to reduce flicker on cga
                            #    bios=yes for TopView or Windows
                            #   Default is no

ftp=yes                      # do you want ftp enabled?
                            #   Default is no

rcp=no                      # do you want rcp enabled?
                            #   Default is no

#domainretry=3              # number of domain lookup retries
                            #   Default is 3

domain="une.edu.au"      # default domain for hostname lookup
                            #   Default is none
domaintime=4                # timeout for a domain lookup
                            #   Defaults to 4

#concolor=070170            # Set the console colors
                            #   Default is 070170

capfile=\xx                 # default name for capture file
                            #   Default is none

#hpfile=hp.out              # file to write HPGL to,
                            #    COM1 can be used for attached plotter
                            #   Defaults to none

psfile=ps.out              # file to write postscript to
                            #   Detaults to none

#tekfile=tek.out            # file to write Tek codes to
                            #   Defaults to none

arptime=8                   # arp timeout in seconds
                            #    affects machines on your local network
                            #   Defaults to 8
#passfile="c:\telnet\telpass"   # name of file to find FTP passwords in
                            #   Default is none
#
#  Following are individual machine specifications
#  Gateways are used in order that they appear in the file
#  Nameservers rotate, #1, #2, #3, #1, #2 when a request fails
#
#  The machine named "default" contains the fields which are automatically
#  filled in for later hosts
#
name=default                # Session name, "default" is a reserved name
                            #   Not a real machine, default parameters only
#host=sri-nic.arpa          # Actual host name of machine, not session name
#host=grivel.une.edu.oz.au
host=lasker.une.edu.au
                            #   Required
#hostip=10.0.0.51           # IP address of host, example is for SRI-NIC
#hostip=129.180.4.7
hostip=129.180.12.2
                            #   Required
#gateway=1                  # This machine is a gateway for me
                            #   Default is no (0)
#nameserver=1               # This machine has a DOMAIN name server for me
nameserver=1
                            #   Default is no (0)
scrollback=400              # number of lines of scrollback per session
                            #   Default is (0)
#clearsave=on               # whether to save cleared line in scrollback
                            #   Default is on

# color codes for a specific session:
#       black, blue, green, cyan, red, magenta, yellow, white
#       BLACK, BLUE, GREEN, CYAN, RED, MAGENTA, YELLOW, WHITE
#
#       NOTE: when the highlighted colors are used for a background color,
#               they produce blinking text.
nfcolor=white                   # vt100 normal foreground color
                                #   Default is green
nbcolor=black                   # vt100 normal background color
                                #   Default is black
bfcolor=red                     # vt100 blink foreground color
                                #   Default is black
bbcolor=blue                    # vt100 blink background color
                                #   Default is green
rfcolor=black                   # vt100 reverse foreground color
                                #   Default is blue
rbcolor=white                   # vt100 reverse background color
                                #   Default is black
ufcolor=red                     # vt100 underline foreground color
                                #   Default is blue
ubcolor=cyan                    # vt100 underline background color
                                #   Default is black

erase=backspace                 # use delete code or backspace code for <- key?
                                #   legal values are "delete" and "backspace"
                                #   Default is "backspace"
vtwrap=yes                      # should VT100 be in wrap mode or not?
                                #   Default is no
#vtwidth=80                     # width of the vt100 screen
                                #   legal values are 80 and 132
                                #   Default is 80 (132 may not work correctly)
crmap=4.3BSDCRNUL               # map of the CR key for compatibility
                                #   legal values are "4.3BSDCRNUL" and "LF"
                                #   Default is "LF"
#duplex=half                    # modifier for non-echo mode, forces send
                                #   legal value are "full" and "half"
                                #   Default is full duplex
#font=Monaco                    # font for the window text (Unsupported)
                                #   Default is Monaco
#fsize=9                        # fontsize for the window text (Unsupported)
                                #   Deafult is 9
#port=23                        # value of the port to telnet to
                                #   Default is 23
#ftpoptions="-n"                # modifier for the 'ftp back to PC' string
                                # The string is sent as:
                                #       "ftp <ftpoptions> <IP>
                                #   Default is none
#outputmap=yes                  # Whether to use the output mapping for this
                                #   machine.
                                #   Legal values are: "yes" or "no"
                                #   Default is no

#  The following entries affect the tuning of TCP connections to this host.
#  They should be set by the network administrator who is familiar with
#    the requirements of your specific network.
contime=20              # timeout in seconds to try connection
			#   before returning error to user
                        #   Default is (20)
retrans=90               # starting retransmit time out in ticks
                        #   1/18ths of sec
                        #   Default is (5)
mtu=1024                # maximum transmit unit in bytes
			#   outgoing packet size, MAX=1024
                        #   Default is (512)
maxseg=1024             # largest segment we can receive
			#   whatever the hardware can take, MAX=2048
                        #   Default is (1024)
rwin=1024               # most bytes we can receive without ACK
			#   =TCP window size, MAX=4096
			#   larger isn't always better
                        #   Default is (1024)

#
#  Below this line, most of the communication parameters are obtained
#   from the "default" host entry.
#  Machine names, IP addresses, and special communication parameters are
#   present when needed.
#
#
#name=grivel;    host=grivel;    hostip=129.180.4.7;     nameserver=1;
#name=midden;    host=midden;    hostip=129.180.1.17;    nameserver=2;
# name=wf-ccen-1;  hostip=129.180.1.254  gateway=1
name=wf-lamble;      hostip=129.180.12.254    gateway=1    # SUBNET 12
#name=metz      host=metz;      hostip=129.180.1.4