Re: [Circle] Re: Ships

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/11/96

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, berzerk wrote:

> I made some ship thingie last year and it wasnt hard at all.
>
> 1. Make a ship object.
> 2. Make the inside ship room (how many you now want)
> 3. To the obj, assign a proc that transfers you to the room (trigger on
> enter for example.
> 4. To the room, assign a proc that transfers you out of the room.  You
> will need to keep track of in what room the ship currently is, if its a
> harbour and stuff like that...
> 5. Make a mob with a proc that will do the actually moving of the ship
> since they are the only one that are called periodically and load it
> somewhere where it wont bother anyone..

I think the implementation that best suits me would be
an entire vehicle system.  A vehicle would be an object
that has a minature world inside of it.  The rooms inside
the object would be the parts of the vehicle where players
can go.  So a ship might have a deck, a few cabins, etc.
While inside a vehicle the player is inside those rooms,
not any other one.  So when the object moves (taking along
all those in it) to a new room we have moved the players.
Implementing a window exdesc that changes per room was
nice, too, as when you did, 'look [out] window' you got
something like: "You see the Port of Amerstone out of the
porthole.  There is a large group of people gathered there."

A vehicle is entered with 'enter' and left with 'leave.'
Some vehicles will permit you to have control if you're at
a certain part.  I think implementing a special set of
control commands for certain vehicles would really make it
interesting (eg., turning a ship's wheel, or reining the
horses).

The reason I like such a generic implementation is that I
also wanted carriages, etc.  When I start upon the techno
realm, this will permit hovercars and whatnot.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com