Re: [Circle] [Code] Error in world File

From: Niese-Petersen (Tenp@cris.com)
Date: 11/12/96

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, M.A.Clubine wrote:

> We had this problem. Your olc just "ate" your .wld file.  It ate our
> 30.wld file.  When I mean "ate" it destroyed it.  It erased probably over
> half of it.  My suggestion is that you grab another .wld file if it's
> stock, and if it's not, remove that .wld file from your index file till
> one of your builders can go in and repair the damage.
>
> >    We have run into something very strange, Oasis messed up again saving
> > a zone, the mud crashed.  And now refuses to boot.  I get the following
> > error
> > in syslog.CRASH:
> >
> > Mon Nov 11 23:04:00 :: Loading zone table.
> > Mon Nov 11 23:04:01 :: Loading rooms.
> > Format error in world file near world #2683
> > Offending line: '^M'

Now it would be a good idea, to do following:

  When saving a world file [or whatever in the OLC], make a temp file
first, and when its safely saved. Rename it to the rigth file name.

No offence to who ever made that OLC, but it should have been done in the
first place.  Or atleast make a backup, before saving.. Like rename the
worldfile before saving the new..

---
Erik Niese-Petersen
Aka Quint The typo God