RE: [Circle] plrtoascii--How do I get an unecrypted passwd?

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 11/25/96

On Monday, November 25, 1996 2:17 PM, Nicholas S. Wourms[SMTP:Prospero@bbs.x-net.net] wrote:
>I have sucessfuly implimented plrtoascii on my mud.

   What exactly is this? I'll assume it's a patch for converting to ascii
   player files.

>My only problem is that
>the passwords that are converted are encrypted.  I would like to be able to
>'see' the passwd in order to have it readily available for my purposes and
>for informing 'forgetful' players.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

   If you desire to not encrypt your passwords, remove all of the references to
   CRYPT (or setup your system so it thinks it doesn't have it.. prolly sysdep.h)

   Of course this now leaves the passwords readable to anyone who manages to hack root.
   You might want to create a simple befuddlement .. i.e. shifting the bits or something
   simple to do to make the password at least not obvious. After all, it would seem that
   there are few people who care enough to hack a mud imp's account when they already
   have root on the machine.. can you say gzip/ftp? :)

   --Mallory

-- http://www.polarnet.com/Users/gbarnett/ -- telnet://mud.polarnet.com 4000 --