Re: [Circle] [IDEA REQUEST] Transfer equipment command.

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/25/96

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Jack Wilson wrote:

> Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira wrote:
> >I want to limit access to full areas (several tens of rooms) to a
> >range of levels.
> >
> >So, let's say you want to limit access to the chessboard to be used
> >only by players whose level is between level 21 and level 40, so a
> >level 19 or alevel 41 would not be able to enter the place...
>
> I really have to wonder why you'd want to do such a thing.  Typically,
> the pickings are too slim in a "low-level" area for the high-level
> people to be bothered with.  To make it even less worthwhile you can
> add a steep xp penalty which depends on the level difference between
> the player and his victim.

But that doesn't prevent the high level person from going in,
killing everything, taking all the newbie eq and selling it.  Or
maybe a real asshole putting a chokehold on all the newbies by
not letting them have any newbie eq?  Or going in and charming
a newbie monster, giving it better eq, casting strength on it, and
sitting there invis, casting heal on the monster so that it
eventually kills the newbie and the high level player can get what
the newbie had (gold, etc.) without ever bothering to kill something
themselves.

> >I wanted to do this because even if I limit the entrance to a zone,
> >immortals can teleport inside the zone and transfer their buddies
> >inside, so they get to visit forbidden zones or zones still in
> >building stages...
> >Comments?
>
> Yeah.  If you can't trust certain immortals to not cheat, delete them.
> No amount of software is going to prevent them from cheating.  All the
> software is going to do is inconvenience the people who just want to
> build.

Yes, but not implementing some kind of code to prevent cheating, as
well as specifically stating the rules that say they can't do it,
is just tempting the immortals to try to cheat.  You can't catch
every immortal in the act, and I personally do not like going on
third-person recallings, as they are often twisted from the truth
and tainted with personal feelings towards the targetted person(s).
Why bother punishing all of your staff and having to go seek new
ones, instead of just making it so they can't do it, and hence you
don't have to punish them, and thus they can continue to contribute
positively towards the MUD, while unable to break the rules...?

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com