[Code] Crashbug and Question

From: Brian Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 12/10/96

Hi Everyone-

Two things for you. The first one is the big one. I have found what I
believe to be a stock circle crash bug. I don't think I have changed
anything in the functions shown below that would cause this. Here is the
core from my most recent crash:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x5732 in act (str=0x62256 "$n stops following $N.", hide_invisible=1,
    ch=0x91b600, obj=0x0, vict_obj=0x8c8400, type=3) at comm.c:1945
#1  0x6234a in stop_follower (ch=0x91b600) at utils.c:325
#2  0x623e2 in die_follower (ch=0x91b600) at utils.c:353
#3  0x3e6b0 in extract_char (ch=0x91b600) at handler.c:898
#4  0x48cd1 in check_idling (ch=0x91b600) at limits.c:412
#5  0x48e48 in point_update () at limits.c:449
#6  0x243d in heartbeat (pulse=54000) at comm.c:712
#7  0x21a5 in game_loop (mother_desc=3) at comm.c:655
#8  0x15fe in init_game (port=3) at comm.c:241
#9  0x1500 in main (argc=2, argv=0xefbfdba0) at comm.c:211

Using this and the syslog here is what I get from that. At the same time
that we crashed, a character was extracted for being idle. It looks to me
like she also had an idle follower and the game didn't know what to do
with the follower because the leader was suddenly null. That may be
slightly misinterpreted, but that is what I get from it. Does anyone have
any ideas on how to deal with this? Maybe make any players foloow self
after the leader has been idle for 1 tick before the leader will idle out
(did that make sense?). I mean like if the force-extract is after 15 mins
idle, then maybe force all followers to fol self after the leader is idle
for 14 minutes? Or maybe just before they get extracted in check_idling?

And the second thing...not really circle related, but how can I check for
the existance of a file before I do something to it in a shell script
(read autorun). I have my mud compile into circle.tst and then move it
circle.move, then have autorun move that to circle before rebooting. That
works fine...if the file exists. If it doesn't then autorun chokes on me.

Thanks if you can help on either of these,

  -Brian