NEWBIE: Compilation Errors

From: Brad Freshour (monocirc@telepath.com)
Date: 01/17/97

I'm currently trying to compile CircleMUD 3.0bpl11 on BSDI BSD/OS 2.1  I'm
using gcc but I get an error after running configure and typing make all.  I
looked in the unix manual for gcc (man gcc) and it says the following:

      -fno-strict-prototype
              Treat  a  function  declaration  with no arguments,
              such as `int foo ();', as C would treat it--as say-
              ing  nothing about the number of arguments or their
              types (C++ only).  Normally, such a declaration  in
              C++ means that the function foo takes no arguments.

the configure program tells the Makefile to use this option but as you can
see from the screen grab below, it's not a valid option.  I even erased the
"s" off the end of prototypes to make it "-fno-strict-prototype" and it
still gave me and Invalid option error.  Should I just erase this flag from
the Makefile and compile it without it?

--Screen Grab
make ../bin/circle
gcc -c -g -O -Wall -fno-strict-prototypes  comm.c
cc1: Invalid option `-fno-strict-prototypes'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.