Re: [Code] mail system

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/22/97

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, R. E. Paret wrote:

> > I dunno the reasoning for the assert() in the stock code.
>
> As you are probably well aware, asserts are a great way to test your
> code, usually after its out of your hands.  Which would you prefer, an
> end-user calling you up and saying "When I do xyz it says Segmentation
> fault, core dumped and stops working", or an end-user calling you up and
> telling you that the program says "Assert failed in module abc line xxx".
> If you know where the bug is immediately, its a lot easier to fix. :)
> This assert is probably to make sure that there is enough scratch space
> for the mail to be sent, however I've never seen it happen before, and so
> my premise would be that the cause of the assert failure would be
> something other than stock circle code (probably that nasty OasisOLC
> patch :) )

I know what it does and what it's used for, I just didn't know it's
particular reason for being in the code (eg., I didn't have the code
on hand to see).  Jeremy explained the reasoning a lot better than
I think I could have determined by simply reading his code, though.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com