Re: [Idea] Adding the concept of 'IT' for object commands

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/01/97

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:

> Last night I fired up my News Reader and read through the latest
> discussions on the rec.games.mud.diku group. After reading a huge
> thread on adding 'it' in object based commands; i.e.

Whatabout 'him'/'her', and 'them'?  For instance:

  > consider bob
  > kill him

or:

  > get gauntlets
  > wear them

I suppose, 'them' and 'it' could be the same, but I think people are
more prone to using 'them' when refering to more than one object (eg.,
"gauntlets" is a pair of gauntlets, so 'it' doesn't sound right).  So,
if you just add a check for "them" along with the "it" then it'll turn
out pretty well.  It'd still allow:

  > get gauntlets
  > wear it

Which sounds strange, and also put in further silliness such as:

  > get sword
  > wield them

But what are the chances people are going to try those instead of the
proper pronoun-thingy?  Those aren't major concerns, IMO.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com