Re: [sci-fi] transportation

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/01/97

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Nicholas Seabury wrote:

> ok what i was thinking of is a system of planets, with zones in them ...
> I know this can be done with the existing system of zones...EG zone 100
> is the planet and 101-199 are the zones inside the planet..kinda as a
> placeholder for record keeping to keep myself and my builders sane...
> But what i really need to know is how can i make a "semi-realistic"
> transort system between planets??? Any ideas i would like a
> spaceport/spaceship type system...but not sure if i can handle any major
> coding :) I don't know the stock code that well yet :)

Well, you can use some zones to signify the space between the planets.
The transport would move one room closer to the planet every so often.
This can be accomplished by starting at one point (eg., the edge of
the universe) and moving out in straight lines past all the planets.
It might be helpful to map all this on paper, then scale it for the MUD.
For instance, 15 rooms would be a short distance (the transport should
move kindof slow between the rooms, though).

This could be implemented in much the same way as a ship system would
be in a medieval/fantasy MUD.  Essentially, the planets would be
continents, astroids/moons/etc. would be islands, and space would be
the water.  Thinking of it in this way may help you devise just how
the ship should move, how fast, etc.

> The other major change i would like to make is sortof a Jedi/force type
> alignment system..if you use evil "spells" you get more "dark" if you
> use "heal" etc you get more "light"....

Hrrrmmm...well, the obvious way would be to check which spell they
are casting, and depending upon whether it's a "good" spell or not,
changing their alignment.  Any thoughts from anyone else?

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com