Re: Strange OasisOLC bug w/Linux

From: Sammy (samedi@dhc.net)
Date: 02/07/97

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Mark Crichton wrote:

> The system our mud was running on was upgraded to a more recent version of
> Linux's libc (up to 5.3.12 now) and I've noticed that my medit on new objects
> has now broken.

That's an old oasis bug.  I think someone may have posted a fix, but I
don't have any info on it.

The problem is that older versions of libc were way too fault tolerant.
There've been lots of times where I released a version of obuild that
worked just great on my old 1.2.8 linux system only to find out that there
were lots of problems when it was used on certain other os's.

While you may not have crashed when saving mobs before, there's a good
chance that the bug caused delayed crashes.  Downgrading to an earlier
version of libc would not be a good idea.

If nobody's already found the fix, and you've got a lot of patience, you
could try tracking it down with gdb.  Just set a breakpoint on the mob
save function and step, step, step, till it crashes.  You'll see exactly
where the bad free is then.  You may not be able to take the free out, but
you can at least find out what it's trying to free.

Hope that helps.

Sam