Re: [CODE] Loosing Write Access

From: Sammy (samedi@dhc.net)
Date: 02/12/97

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, pjh wrote:

> I am perplexed.  After a few days (or even hours its so far as I know a
> random time) my mud will suddenly loose write access to the OS. This means
> that peoples stuff isn't saved when they quit, nothing is saved when they
> quit.  Most noticeably is that OLC doesn't work, Mail i get Error #13 or
> #11 i think.  Um and other crazy stuff related to the no-write access.
> however as far as Linux goes write access IS there to the person that runs
> the mud.  Whenever I kill -9 the mud and restart it it works fine.  I am
> totally out in the blue on this one.  Its doesn't like 'Crash' so to
> speak, nor am I capable of finding exactly WHEN this happens.  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

Hmm.  Check your syslog.  If you see anything similar to this:

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 07:09:55 -0500 (EST)
From: pjh <wart@trilidun.kuntrynet.com>
To: circle@cspo.queensu.ca
Subject:  [CODE] No Write Access Afterthought

I was digging around my syslog file and found this error:

Wed Feb 12 00:09:40 :: Perip killed by the ugly witch at A Corridor
SYSERR: checking for crash file plrobjs/P-T/perip.objs (3): Too many open
files
SYSERR: READING OBJECT FILE plrobjs/P-T/perip.objs (5): Too many open
files
Wed Feb 12 00:09:45 :: Perip entering game with no equipment.

It's not a permissions problem, obviously.  It looks to me like you can
tell when this happened to within 5 seconds.  You can also see that the
reason you can't save any files is "Too many open files".  You've
forgotten an fclose() somewhere in your mud code.

Sam