Re: Killin bugs was 'Objects in OasisOLC'

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/14/97

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jörgen Zigge Sigvardsson wrote:

> > Find all the bugs in *any* code?!!?!
>
> Well, in a perfect world you should be able to find every bug in any code.
> But since we're not in a perfect world, we will not find every bug in any code.
> But its more likely to find the bugs in your own code than in any other code.
> I mean, after all, you made your own code, you know what you thought when you
> wrote it.. (hopefully).

IMO, you're *less* likely to find bugs in your own code for the
very reason you state above.  You know what you were thinking at
the time, so what you expect to be there limits your ability to
see what is *really* there.

> What I want to say is, keep it simple but not too simple.
> Use your brain before you start hacking. I know it might sound boring to some
> ppl, but believe me, you WILL find it easier to implement something that
> you've already modelled on paper. And if you have it on paper, you can easily
> find the weak spots when bugs start to show up. It will help you to narrow
> down the search for bugs.

Heheheh, I don't even *think* about things before I code them.  An
idea pops into my head, I meditate for a minute, then code it to
completetion (or I might take breaks every 2 hours for nourishment :))
Then I'm done with the basic stuff and look at how it works and
what goes on with everything (I often can't remember what or why I
did something in the code after I slip out of the trance [ever hear
athletes say they were in a "zone"?]).  Afterwhich I do any tweaking
that's necessary.  Writing stuff distances me from the basic idea and
how I should get all the code in place.  But perhaps that's just me.
I'm probably the only person that meditates before they code, too.  I
just like thinking on my toes and meditation helps me concentrate on
that one idea.

Strange person extradionarre,

--
Daniel Koepke