RE: exp gain / balance

From: David Blocher (dblocher@postoffice.ptd.net)
Date: 02/28/97

> From:          Andy Hubbard <hub@leicester.ac.uk>
> To:            circle@cspo.queensu.ca
> Date:          Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:55:48 +0100 (BST)
> Subject:       RE:  [code] exp gain

<snip>
> I take it you mean the title, exp arrays for each class. Get rid of
> it, it is redundant.  In my case 800+ lines of code went down to
> under 10. OK, so you lose the automatic title stuff each time a
> player levels, but hopefully they have the imagination to set there
> own, if not set it for them and remove there title setting privalege.
>  What I did was set up a spreadsheet to see what happens to the exp
> as each class levels. Work out your average exp gain per kill for an
> equal level based fight, in my case a 1st lvl pc killin a 1st lvl mob
> averages about 50 exp points.  If you use two cells to have the
> variables, ie. 1500 and 1.015 etc, its easy to change these and see
> what happens.  I have it that at 1st lvl about 30 kills are needed
> for all classes, but at 100ish then mages need about 50, while
> warriors need over 100.  Hopefully this reflects that the meat and
> drink of warriors is slaying, while mages it is not so, more on the
> magic casting.  I'm still trying to get my head round if rogues
> should need less than priests :)
>
> Ho hum
>
> Andy
How nice, I was about to start a thread about exp gain, and game
balance myself.  I was wondering how people who have increased the
levels worked on game balance.  We instituted a series of exp capping
functions.  Heres the basics, send me your comments/suggestions/ideas

1) We figured a player should have to solo kill 1/(X+level) of mobs of
equal level.
2) You get a bonus for killing mobs above your level
3) You get a penalty for killing mobs below your level
4) Groups are a bit trickier we hand out shares of the exp
your level/ total levels in group

I am still having a couple of problems with balance though:

How do I encourage grouping (make it worthwhile) without making
leveling too easy (newbie with a level 95 player)

How to keep player from hoarding the best eq in the game.
 (We have level restrictions on eq but that is a ugly way to
fix the problem)

Then there is the whole problem of one class being better than the
other but I know that problem is internal.

Thanks
Vain the Arrogant