[code] [gdb] Bitfields & Oasis & New mobs

From: John Evans (evansj@texas.net)
Date: 03/01/97

First off, thank you Niese-Petersen <Tenp@cris.com> for the WONDERFUL
document (128bits.txt) on changing over to bitfields.

I just "installed" bitfields into my circle 3.0 bpl 11 mud. After 13
hours of coding, everything works GREAT!!

Except for one thing....

Creating new mobs with Oasis crashes the mud. It crashes right when the
mob is saved to memory after leaving the OLC. FYI - I trashed the entire
world and used pico to build the needed rooms, objects and mob that were
needed to boot the game and give people a place to load when they entered.

I tried to use gdb to track down the cause of the crash, but I got the
following (running Slackware 2.0.0):
----START PASTE----
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.15.1 (i486-slackware-linux),
Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Couldn't fetch registers from core file: File in wrong format
Couldn't fetch registers from core file: File in wrong format
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb)
----END PASTE----

Two questions:
1) Why is the core file "in wrong format"? I get this without exception.

2) Does anyone know why it is crashing? I have dug and dug through medit.c
and have not been able to determine why the crash is occuring. I am sure
that gdb would help me out, but it is choking on my core file for some
reason.

I may be able to find the answer(s) on my own when I am more rested, but I
want to see what results hit my inbox while I sleep.  :)

Thank you and G'night (snoring and drooling on the keyboard [again])

John Evans
mailto:evansj@texas.net  -  http://www.texas.net/~evansj/

I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!