Re: Players IP Addresses

From: Robert Sinland (rsinland@ERSKINE.POLARISTEL.NET)
Date: 07/18/97

Rob Baumstark wrote:

> >    After having installed the ident patch I get this in my syslogs, and
> > have yet to get any new player info.

> > Thu Jul 17 21:10:07 :: Ident error from fn2.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca:
> > "INVALID-PORT"
> > RS
> ----------
>
> Well, I don't know too much about your problem, but I can tell you a few
> things about edmonton freenet (the IP in question)
> Most important, it is not really an internet connection.  You dial up, and
> you get a VT100 (or sumthin) connection.  They have 2 or 3 servers, which
> are connected to the 'net.  When you telnet to the MUD, your server will
> request the info, and send it to you, you don't get an IP address though.
> It's possible with freenet to have hundreds of different people on the MUD
> at the same time, all from different houses, all with the same IP address,
> but still all different people.  I have people from freenet on my MUD, and
> I've only ever seen fr1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca and
> fr2.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
>   Hope this helps.
>
>      Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
    Yes it does.. So in other words the ident code is _not_ going to
help sort these users out correct? *sigh*
Point is I have one user from there could could stand to be banned, but
I don't want to ban the whole lot of them, and with no way to sort them
out....oh well...  Thanks for the information :)
RS