Re: [CODE][OLC][?] Deleting

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 07/24/97

On Thursday, July 24, 1997 6:54 AM, Eduo - Tempus Fugit Pseudo Admin
[SMTP:mud@SPARC.CIATEQ.CONACYT.MX] wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Chris Jacobson wrote:
>
> > Is there any code out there to delete an object / room / mob?
> > If so, this would be extremely useful...
>
> Before some short sighted dork makes the comment, I am sure Chris refers
> to deleting the obj/mob/room from the world files (using OLC, I
> believe)... I have been looking for this myself, but I manage to garble
> all the indexes with every approach I try.

How about just creating a flag for it.. ITEM_DELETED. Then setup the olc
save_to_disk routines to skip objs with that flag. Simple and works well.
Even provides "Oops. I pressed the wrong button" protection, at least
until reboot/crash :-)

You could create a command like VDEL to set the flag on the prototype
or just have people do it via the flags in oedit/medit/redit. If you are
paranoid
about people mass deleting stuff via a macro or some such you could make
the VDEL command of sufficient level and put a test in the editors so you
can't set the flag in them.

> Also, I was wondering, what's the easiest way to make Oasis display a menu
> for lower level builders, where they pick the level of the mob they want
> to create (from a list similar to the one in building.doc) and then they
> can only change some of the fields (name, keywords, etc) and not those
> values. This way newer builders can't create unbalanced mobs (could be
> used for weapons too)..

Interesting. I hadnt' thought through mob templates enough to see a need
to restrict options when using one.

The method I take for that sort of thing is to have the olc determine a score
for each obj/mob and make sure the dependant values are within tolerance.
i.e. A mob with stats of a and affects of b would be worth no more than
experience x and couldn't have more than y gold. A sanity check for things
in a way.

I also am working on a master list of objs/mobs to be used when the builder
just needs a generic rat.. or mouse.. or sword. This approach simplifies
balancing the mud I believe, and provides for a large selection of weapons
that are ordinary.. and still allows the builder to create weapons that
reflect
the area's history, etc. Take this all the way down to food, bags, drinks,
and other generic items and you'll have a cleaner mud in the equipment
deptartment.

--Mallory
"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about
shrapnel addressed to 'occupant.'" --Murphy