Re: [CODE][irc colors][Newbie]

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 07/29/97

> Okay this is really a dumb question but I'm stumped on it (new to
> coding) I ported the mud over to irc. Well I am trying to change the
> color system over to use no color, ansi color, or mirc colors (the ansi
> and mirc use different color codes) my question is how do I do this? I
> would like to be able to use the same screen.h (but change it to use the
> levels) I want to just change the users color (none, sparce, normal,
> complete) to none, mirc, ansi. And have it just print the code for what
> they have chosen. If this makes any sence. Anyone out there try this
> yet?

        Well, I'd recommend that you install one of the several color
patches on the snippet site and go from there. From my very limited
experience with mIRC, i believe that the colors that are displayed are
based upon events which mIRC detects (ie, since the output is standardized
when someone logs on, it can color that by parsing all incoming info, and
coloring it bright red, or yellow or whatever if it matches what it thinks
a log on looks like).  What this means is that mIRC probably has access to
around 256 colors, as opposed to the like 16, that vt100 standards within
normal muds w/o specialized clients.. Of course, not many programs fully
support ansi coloring schemes either - most are vt100 capable, and many
times, without color.

The snippet site is at
http://democracy.queensu.ca/~fletcher/Circle/Snippet

                                                PjD