Re: [NEWBIE] CircleMUD and problems with other programs

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 07/29/97

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Franco Gasperino wrote:

>Granted a *nix box may be more suitable for running a mud, a NT machine
>is no more subject to cpu or memory lockup than a *nix box. It all depends on
>the priority given to the process and the effectiveness of the programming
>behind the mud. Give a big mud a priority of 20, and you can see a *nix box
>lock up pretty quick also.

I do believe NT locks up a lot more than any Linux machine you'll see.
(considering them both uniprocessor for simplicity)  I've seen gcc with a
-20 niceness on Linux 1.2.8, sure everything else was sluggish but
everything still ran.  And a 20 priority under Unix means the process will
only run if nothing else wants to.

I have 16 megs of RAM on a Linux machine where the MUD takes around 8 megs
of RAM.  Don't even realize the MUD is there under normal circumstances.
NT itself doesn't like to run in 16 megs of RAM, let alone give a MUD half
of it.

This is going to turn into another OS holy war.

Circle: Anyone have OpenVMS with Multinet Library willing to figure out why
select() doesn't quite work right? I don't have the disk space on my VAX
account to figure it out and I'll supply the code.  That's the only other
thing that I have to fix to get CircleMUD running on it.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
http://www.muohio.edu/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard