Re: [ASCII RentFiles] Done?

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 07/30/97

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer wrote:

>  i've been thinking of working on ASCII mail myself.  it would make it
> easy to have an email forward address so friends can email you
> from the MUD.  of course, this would require a complete rewrite of the
> mail code, b/c it currently works with nothing but binaries.

I did it the hard way and rewrote nearly the whole thing, but it ended up
being much more complex than necessary.  See my previous mail for
suggestions.

> has anyone ever wondered if Jeremy has a hang up on structs?
> it kinda makes me wonder, because nearly everything (if not everything)
> in Stock Circle deals with binary files.  and in my opinion, this makes
> it hard to deal with a MUD on two different (if not more) platforms.

I could be wrong but I think that's inheirited from diku.  It's got it's
advantages.

> moving, etc.  the pfile wipes because of additions, the pfile wipes
> due to strings being just a TEENY bit too long.  etc.
>
> anyway, i've always wondered that.  I'm not real sure of the benefit of
> binaries, but ASCII files are easier to read, easier to FIX, easier to
> move around, and better (imo).  of course i don't know if binaries are
> faster or not, but that makes no difference to me, as does the
> mem leaks.

Binaries are easier for your computer to read :)  I like having a single
file, too.

Sam