Re: Comparing with SMAUG

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 07/30/97

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, John Watson wrote:

> I love SMAUG as a player, but as a coder I hate it.  I worked on a system
> that was Circle and I had to implement SMAUG and now I barely log on to it.
>  The code is wrote like they were lazy and in quite a bit of a hurry.  I
<snip>

There's bad code lazy and then there's no code lazy.  A non-lazy person in
your situation would probably either add the desired features to circle,
or clean up the smaug code.

On the other hand, if Jeremey and the other big coder deities are going to
write a custom mud for you, you'll need to be a lot more specific about
your design criteria.

ObCircle:

Has anyone considered changing the world files into a more generic format?
I've toyed with the idea of using a tagged entry system (as in the pfile
patch).  It may seem like a waste of effort, but I'm thinking it could
eliminate some of the world parsing code if done right, and would make
adding variables easier.

Sam