Re: [NEWBIE] Hero Classes and Racial Maximums

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 08/06/97

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Robert A. Hayden wrote:

> Are there any code examples/snippits on how to apply racial maximums (and
> minimums for that matter).  I have a couple of ideas, but I suspect it
> would be a process of re-inventing the wheel to try to put them in.  I
> understand C structure fairly solidly, however my skill with syntax is
> very poor, and a lot of it would be trial and error. :(

There's a very easy way to fix your problem without adding special racial
maximum variables.  Just find the code that limits their abilities in
affect_total() in handler.c.  Then change each of the upper limits like
this:

GET_DEX(ch) = MAX(MAX(0, MIN(GET_DEX(ch), i)), ch->real_abils.dex);

This won't let all elves get up to 19 dex, but any that roll 19 during
creation will stay at 19.

Sam