Hash table formula help.

From: Ryan Linn (rlinn@HUBCAP.CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 08/09/97

Hello,
   I'm trying to decide on a good formula for a command list hash table.
While I know the basics of hash tables, I'm trying to figure out the most
effective way of hashing things.  My first reaction was to just hash the
first character and insert/search by that.  But then there would still be
30 + compares for certain commands on my mud.  But if you hashed first
two characters, then any 1 letter commands could be lost.  So.. back to
square 1.Any suggestions,or if you have a formula that you have found to work,
 it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Ryan Linn
Apollo- IMP Ruins(cyberplayce.com 8000)