Re: [off topic?] exploits?

From: Derek L. Karnes (dkarnes@MYSTECH.COM)
Date: 08/11/97

Robert Sinland wrote:

> The past few days I have noticed an individual trying to logon to the
> mud.  Thing is he/she never gets past the
> "get name" part as it shows up in users.  Odd thing is this person will
> try again and again, up to 100 times or more at a whack! (based on
> socket num as it shows in users)
>
> Now as far as the mud itself went this seemed to possibly add some lag,
> and it was getting annoying to boot, so I sitebanned his origin.  My
> question is does anyone know of some exploit that he could have been
> trying to use from that point of connection, or was this just a very
> unusual individual?
> Thoughts?
> RS

I had this problem, from one of the gods :) In his case, he was using
ZMUD's (windows-based client) auto-retry feature that would keep
connecting until logged on. Since the god was afk (and his login script
was incorrect) ZMUD just kept failing connect until the guy woke up the
next morning and turned it off.

--
- Serapis, Imp of Dark Pawns
- dkarnes@mystech.com