Re: Linux

From: Kenneth G. Cavness (kcavness@PROXICOM.COM)
Date: 08/14/97

>> Not linux, but unix, ant flavor of unix would be a thousand times better
>> than NT.
>
>Depends on what you are looking for on the development platform. Linux
>may be nicer "out of the box" for remote administration and system resource
>requirements, but for a development platform? That is seriously
>questionable.

Actually, Linux _is_ better. Its memory handling features, the plethora
of resources available on the 'net, and the _Freeness_ of it all point
toward Linux as a better platform for development of a multiuser, text-based
adventure game.

>That is simply probably because you don't know how to use MSDEV. It
>supports _ALL_ standard C/C++, plus more powerful multithreading than
>any type of unix could ever dream. The file system is not as good, but the

Oh? I find that very hard to believe. You have documentation to support
this claim? And it would be as portable (Anyone say "POSIX threads") ?

>debugger and trace options under most windows development programs are
>over 1000 times better than the gdb with gcc.

Luckily, if you pay (about the same price you'd have to pay for MSDEV and
assorted other commercial development tools) for the multitude of Linux
commercial development platforms, you get the same level of ability as
on NT.

Thanks,
--
Kenneth G. Cavness