Re: INFO - memory leaks

From: Tom Dailey (tomd96@AIRMAIL.NET)
Date: 08/15/97

Daniel,

You're one of the most vocal coders on this list, and probably one of
my most respected admins but please don't insult my integrity
with that donation piece.  An admin from Zombie saw the web
site and thought it was interesting so I called joe at parasoft directly
via their 800 number and asked how we could obtain a license.
He was very kind, and since I told him the truth straight out (i.e.,
I was coding on a MUD and not a commercial user), he
let me have a copy.  I have 3 licenses.  One for our solaris os,
and 2 for linux (1 for me and the other for another admin).  But
to your 1 license comment, yes, we only have 1 license for
each machine.

Funny thing about life, if you are honest and just be straight forward
and ask, you _might_ just get what you want....

btw,  thanks for the info on free(), create(), and recreate().

Also,  I still will help anyone who wants me to run the insure++
on their src.  Please email me directly.

thanks,

Tom Dailey

----------
> From: Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject: Re:  INFO - memory leaks
> Date: Friday, August 15, 1997 4:13 PM
>
> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Tom Dailey wrote:
>
> -+Oh, I did say it was a "donated" copy didn't I? free is always better
than
> -+$1500, eh??....
>
> Was this donation made by a player of your MUD to you?  Was this donation
> made by someone who had a single-user license on the product?  Breaking
two
> laws is always worse than breaking one... [sorry, I had to do it]
>
> Anyway, to answer the actual use of the mem_track.  You change the
CREATE(),
> RECREATE(), and FREE() macros to use it and it will serve to log any use
of
> the CREATE(), RECREATE(), and FREE() macros; providing line number, and
> whatever else information you want it to [you just have to code it is
all].
> While it won't point you automatically to a memory leak and tell you what
> line it was on, and all of that, it will help you track them down by
keeping
> tabs on all memory.  Actually, you can have keep track of memory leaks by
> having it log everything in the mem_track array/list when the mud shuts
> down.  During the time the game is running, you add to mem_track anything
> that is CREATE'd and you remove the mem_track data when that structure is
> FREE'd.  When you write out the mem_track log at the end, you'll get logs
> on anything CREATE'd but not FREE'd (and with a bit of changes to the
FREE