Re: [newbie] exits

From: Eduo - Tempus Fugit Pseudo Admin (mud@SPARC.CIATEQ.CONACYT.MX)
Date: 08/15/97

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Sammy wrote:

> I finally got a wild hair and started poking at obuild again, and I was
> wondering if I could get some opinions on the current state of olc (both
> oasis and obuild).  I'm most interested in knowing what the most tedious
> aspects of either are, and also the most confusing.  If you've got any
> experience with other olc packages and have seen a better way of doing
> things, I'd love to hear from you.

OK, I will let you know what I think of it and what my builders have
commented (I am replying to the list on purpose, since I would like to
hear other opinions, unless sammy wants to summarize..:)

First of all, newbie builders like Oasis better, since it guides them...
Obuild is more for seasoned builders that know stuff by memory and what to
put where... Oasis is overkill for just changing a flag or a name, and
obuild is perfect for this.

So they have asked for an OLC that provides them with both, I showed them
the finger then, but maybe it could be done...:)

Something else that could be very helpful (and I have tried to make
myself) is templates. You could set templates for mobs and either let
builders pick a template or enforce templates on lower level builders
(prone to making disbalanced zones) and leave higher level builders with
more freedom.

The ability to copy part or all of a mob to another (or to a new one if
the 'victim' is not existing), as well as objects and rooms is a very
solicited feature (I have it halfway in Oasis, thanks to Robert
Sinland..:), and a 'buildwalk' is also commendable (the ability to make
*and* link two rooms in one command, so that you can 'walk' the map while
building it, if the room exists you connect it both ways, if it doesn't
you build it and connect it)...

I am not sure if there are other requests, but keeping either a log of
changes or backup copies is also useful.

MOre ideas?

Eduo