Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/17/97

Most of your suggestions are good, except:

George writes:
>SP #2
>        - Gets rid of the olc.c warning.

I kept that in so people would know olc isn't done :-).

>SP #4
>        - Loaded objects appear in inventory, not ground

Seems just as inconvenient to have it load into your inventory if
you're loading for someone else..

>SP #11
>        - Stack overflow bugfix.

Ack..  I keep meaning to look for those.  (Go to the bugtraq archive
at www.geek-girl.com and search for gethostbyname...)

>ASCII Pfiles

Circle will definitely have these eventually, but I will probably not
incorporate it into the main code until the next major revision
(especially since there is a patch available to do it now).

>Board message order reversed so newest is at top.

I did this a few patchlevels ago but there were so many complaints
that I changed it back.

>Better buffer system. (Current system allows overwriting by other funtions
>and many functions just define local arrays to avoid that, defeating the
>purpose of a global buffer system.)

The buffer system seemed like a really good idea at the time, but for
this exact reason it seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.
I'll take a look at your system.  Unfortunately, I kind of like the
return-style more than the if-else-else-else-else..... style, because
I think the return style is easier to read and write.

-Jer