Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 08/17/97

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Franco wrote:

> On the topic of defaulting the player files to ANSI, I would say leave
>them the way they are currently, and provide optional patches (3rd party)
>for conversions.  Making this change across the board would cause quite a
>few people to notice performance hits when there are a number of players
>in the game.
>  Binary works great. It's efficient, and fast.

And pfile wipes because of binary are a pain in the a**, conversion of
binary is somewhat better.  And you get into problems when the secondary
utilities mangle the pfile because they are out of date and have an old
pfile structure.  And you can't easily change values in a binary file
without being on the mud or writing a utility like 'mudpasswd'.  And you
won't notice a hit constantly because saving/loading is only done upon
death/rent/login/autosave/command, not in game_loop.

Binary Pro:
It's a little faster than ASCII (little parsing).
Efficient for binary data.
One file.

Binary Con:
Can't change format easily.
Can be mangled by secondary utilities.
Can't easily change values offline.
Horrible waste of space for string data.
One file.

ASCII is almost opposite.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity