Re: [Legal -again-] Contributions <m0x0bpg-000EHOE@mail.airmail.net>

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/18/97

The license is meant to keep usage of CircleMUD as a hobby, not a
business.  Yes, I know MUDding may be an expensive hobby (equipment,
ISP costs, etc.) but there are a lot of other expensive hobbies, too
-- almost any hobby that requires specialized equipment.  There are a
lot of cheap hobbies, too.  If you don't want to spend money on a
hobby, either figure out how to run Circle on-the-cheap or find a
cheap hobby.

Frankly, I have trouble buying the argument that the right to donate
money to someone is a basic human right, and the license is therefore
invalid by virtue of the fact that it attempts to curtail that right.
The President isn't allowed to accept more than a certain number of
dollars in donations to his campaign; does anyone think this is a
violation of the rights of the donators?

Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and never will be, and therefore could
be completely wrong.  I think a better use of time and bandwidth would
be to get the opinion of a real lawyer instead of debating something
of which we have only casual knowledge.

Please reply by email; I don't want to prolong this thread any more
than necessary...

-Jeremy