Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 08/18/97

On 8/19/97 12:52 AM, Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@JUNCTIONNET.COM)
stated:

>Don't be too sure on the mac aspect.  Macs have a Thread Manager
>extension that takes care of this.  You just have to access it.  I
>personally don't know how to do this, but you can do it.  Also, I heard
>NT has threading capabilities, but I haven't heard anything on Win 95.

Honestly, here, the Thread Manager on MacOS SUCKS BIG TIME :-)
I have seen 3rd party implementations of cooperative threads (since MacOS
doesn't support preemptive threading, that was "removed" due to the
"upcoming OS Releases", and was only on 68k based Macintosh systems to
start with) that are MUCH faster, as much as 5x faster, than the MacOS
Thread Manager.  One of the biggest downfalls to threading on the Mac
using the built-in Thread Manager is speed, because it is very slow
creating new threads.  I know someone who made a MUD for MacOS, called
GorE, and it used threads, but the project was abandoned (or put on hold,
at least).