Re: Multiple Mud

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 08/18/97

On Monday, August 18, 1997 8:04 PM, Joshua Mentzer [SMTP:mentzer@TEXAS.NET]
wrote:
> Sorry about that last Legal post, was not meant for the list.
>
> ObCircle:
>
>   I was sitting around the other day, I do this pretty often, and I was
> got to thinking, something I don't do very often, about MUDs and the
> like.

Uh Oh :-)

>   What I am curious about, is if anyone has seen or done any multi-mud
> interaction? I can't think of an easy way to describe what I am thinking
> of, but the easiest example of what I am thinking would be of a world
> with multiple dimensions, each dimension being a different MUD, thereby
> having its own unique feel.

The closest to this I've seen is a mud with more than one entry point spaced
geographically. This isn't the model you describe though.

>   I can think of dozens of problems that would arise in such an
> undertaking, but it could be very interesting for players (switching
> dimensions where they might find an NPC of themselves, events in one MUD
> affecting those of another...many things).
>   So, has anyone ever seen anything of this sort?

The issues you face here are insurmountable, unless you are willing to
design however many muds and then get people to follow your lead.

Just keeping balance alone, w/o worrying about any syncronization
issues would be a killer. What to do about objects transferring? What
about abilities? How to track the 'home' mud for a player? How to
resolve crashes and link losses.

In short, unless you want to design a new code base to distribute that
locks people into a certain messaging structure and other details you
are going to find this to be a very rocky road with not even a light at the
end of the tunnel.

my $0.02

--Mallory
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey