Re: Reboot-only items

From: Brian Gray (mandy@NETCOM.COM)
Date: 08/19/97

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         Stock circle does not come with reboot-only items, though if
> you're tricky, you can make use silly things like a no-reset zone, etc.
> How about we make it a little different then, and add a RARE flag.  Here's
> the guts of it...
>
> [snip]
>
>         ie, it won't load up unless the mud has been running for under a
> minute - or a minute exactly.

I think I'm going to have to take issue with the premise of a reboot-only
item.  As it is, all the DIKU-derived MUDs I've seen place way too much
emphasis on the importance of crashes.  We're not forgetting that crashes
aren't supposed to happen, are we?  They certainly shouldn't be something
players fear (crash deaths) or hope for (object loading).  If they have
to exist, and of course they always will, their impact on the world
should be minimized, not expanded.

  Tie object loading to a random number generator at a specified
percentage.  Don't tie it to the number of items in the game.  For high
powered items, actually remember if they loaded or not, and restore the
game state after a crash.  Save and restore player corpses.  The ultimate
goal should be that the total effect of a crash is loss of 2 minutes
playing time.

 -- Brian