Re: Unresolved Eexternal Symbols

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/19/97

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Toxic Twin wrote:

-+and I looked in olc.c and it includes olc.h and I looked in olc.h and
-+the 'symbols' are in there with an * in front of them like this:

There is a difference here.  olc.h only casts the variables.  It doesn't
define the symbol, which is done in olc.c.  If you didn't have the
(external) variables cast, you'd get warnings while compiling any file
that used them concerning implicit use.  When the program can't actually
find the variables, themselves, it gives a linker error.

In your case, you aren't getting warnings for "implicit use" of any
variables because they are cast (in olc.h).  You are not compiling
olc.c (or at least the proper version) and hence the linker errors on
undefined symbols.

Not the best job I've done in describing something, but it'll hopefully
do. :)

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.