Re: Why 128-Bit?

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 08/26/97

>Within my first two nights of modifying Circle, I ran out of the 32 bits on
>player flags. I've been coding (on my MUD that is) for 7 months and have
>racked up close to 40 mob flags, over 40 player flags, and around 35 room
>and obj flags.
>
>Those are all just MY ideas.... When I the creator's and co-imps stick in
>ideas, then that number will grow. I just hope that 128 is ENOUGH..... I
>don't think it will be a problem for several years.  Yes... I'm quite
>serious. :)

That's why you use bitfields instead and then never ever
worry again about having enough bits  :)
That's my suggestion for patch level 12 - switch from
bitvectors to bitfields!!

Of course, putting in bitfields (there is an example on
the ftp site using patch level 8 code) will break any OLC
you may have...   one of these days I'll have to get around
to making a bitfields version of Oasis or obuild.

Which OLC do you use?  If you send email to me privately,
I'll make a tally and see what the OLC of choice is :)

I'd also be interested in knowing if anybody else uses
bitfields.